Saturday, December 14, 2002

Digital Drive-Through
The University of Massachusetts-Amherst's human performance laboratory in the department of mechanical and industrial engineering has developed several video animations of the as yet unfinished tunnels beneath Boston. There are three video segments, one simulating the trip east on I-90 toward the airport, and two simulating I-93 north and south. I downloaded the I-90 clip, which clocks in at 5 minutes, and the video's really pretty cool! The animation slows down near traffic signs so you can get your bearings, and the HPL team paid attention to some pretty nifty details, including a white tile design in the second stretch of I-90 tunnel and the photo-realistic representations of buildings actually along the route. My one complaint is that there isn't a soundtrack. The videos are a little long for no music. But no worries. You can always call up RadioVW.

No comments: