Friday, June 28, 2002

Technofetishism VII
Work has declined to get me a new laptop to replace the hand-me-down I've been using for the last few years, and I'm currently stuck using another hand-me-down -- one that doesn't crash as frequently, granted, but one that also smelled like suntan lotion when I first got it. Suntan lotion?

To assuage my concerns about working on unstable hand-me-downs that are several years old -- I haven't had worked on a new computer since I started working at Fast Company, always hand-me-downs -- and preparing for that day in the far distant future when I may leave the magazine to go out on my own or do something else, I've decided to bite the bullet and get my own Titanium PowerBook G4.

With the help of a couple of friends and Media Dieticians, I decided not to go top of the line, but instead started at the bottom and upgraded a little. I ended up ordering:

  • 667 MHz
  • 512 MB SDRAM -- 2 SO DIMMs
  • 40 GB hard drive
  • AirPort card
  • AirPort base station

    Pretty jazzed. Now I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for warchalk marks.
  • No comments: