Friday, June 07, 2002

Clothes Whore III
This isn't a shirt a Media Dietician sent me -- although word is a few are coming, so keep your eyes peeled -- but it's been getting comments today at work, so I thought I'd tell a little story.

I bought the shirt I'm wearing today -- a brown, long-sleeved UPS staff shirt -- at a used clothing store in South Beach, Miami, a couple of years ago. Shortly after I was in Miami, I was staying at a hotel on the edge of Disneyworld near Orlando. I'd gone for a short walk to grab a bite to eat at a nearby hotel restaurant, and at the end of the meal when my waiter brought the check, he said, "The drinks are on us tonight."


With great power comes great responsibility.


"Is it Happy Hour?" I asked, thinking I'd missed a drink special.

"No. But you guys work really hard."

Then it hit me. "Oh, I don't work for UPS. I just have the shirt."

The waiter was visibly crestfallen. I still didn't have to pay for my drinks.

Some people I work with say that I shouldn't have told him. Others ask whether I'll wear UPS shorts to work if they find me a pair. Go figure.

No comments: