Monday, February 25, 2002

From the In Box: Mention Me! III
I love FC, and I love Media Diet. I won't burden you with praise, but suffice it to say that I am grateful that I'm not the only one in business that loves punk. Just last night, I went to a show here in Richmond, Virginia, with four bands -- two great and two mediocre. The great ones were Five Flew Over (high school kids playing amazing punk with slight pop-punk overtones) and Brandtson (emo/punk from Ohio... the reason I went to the show in the first place). -- Charlie Park

Indeed. In the mid-'90s it was heartening to see so many zinemakers getting pro work in media and publishing. Now we just need more folks influenced by punk ideals to get jobs in business. I'm lucky to work with a guy who was active in the DC hardcore scene playing in Iron Cross and No Trend. We've also got several team members who are active in their own bands.

Now, I'm just guessing, but it might be so that Five Flew Over got their band name from a single released by the Angelic Upstarts in 1983. The song was a B-side to their song "Solidarity." Similarly, folks can learn more about Brandtson on the Web.

No comments: