Tuesday, September 10, 2002

Music to My Ears XII
Media Dietician Noah Lamson tells me that he's head-over-heels in love with the band Flipp. "Cheap Trick meets Sex Pistols meets Kiss," he says. Even though I'm thrown by their Tree-like logo and lame Insane Clown Posse-esque band photo on the Web (much less their nicknames), the music is pretty fun. I think much of Noah's comparison is valid, although the opening to "Freak," scheduled to be on their forthcoming album, "Volume," initially reminded me of Van Halen and -- this is stretching it -- Jane's Addiction. The "half-assed" morning show theme for 93X is an interesting bit of ephemera, but "I Was a Planet" clinches things for me. In the end, Flipp is overly produced power pop destined for radio. I get little sense of edge or risk from their music, and the straight-forward guitar rock feel doesn't quite pique my interest. Still, y'all are always welcome to clue me in on new music. Thanks, Noah!

No comments: