Monday, September 09, 2002

The Movie I Watched Last Night XXXVI
Saturday: Snatch
Written by Madonna's husband, this movie is a blend of Ocean's Eleven and The Fight Club in terms of mood and motivation. Starring -- although not primarily -- Brad Pitt and Benicio del Toro, it's the story of a drawn-out jewel heist of sorts. Several plotlines overlap as various groups of characters interact, and while interesting, the movie's not quite what I expected. Not sure what I thought was going to happen, but I was surprised by this movie's Trainspotting-meets-Four Rooms feel. This is the first movie I've seen in a long time that evoked so many other movies. I'm having trouble pegging this.

Sunday: Kate & Leopold
This is one of Coco's favorite movies. It's got Meg Ryan. It's got romance. It's got comedy. It's got time travel. In fact, what could've been a pretty mundane science-fiction movie ends up being an excellent study of character, connection, and collision. Continuing the comparison trend, I think it's safe to say that this is like Sliding Doors and Quantum Leap. Throw in a little Holy Man, maybe. Hugh Jackman's scene at the TV advertisement shoot is absolutely priceless. I can't believe it's not butter! This is a movie I'll have to watch again. Liev Schreiber provides a subtly silly foil to Jackman, and Breckin Meyer's role as Ryan's frustrated brother is excellent. Yay, Coco! Good taste.

No comments: