Thursday, May 01, 2003

Workaday World XXVIII

I usually don't like posting purely personal entries in Media Diet, but I've had the most curious day so far. Having gone to bed early last night -- like 10:30, which has been rare in recent weeks -- I had set my alarm for 6 a.m. I wanted to get up early, shower, shave, do the dishes, pack my suitcase for tonight's trip to New York for Good Experience Live, and head into work before the T got too crowded.

But I like to sleep. I really like to sleep. If I wake up from a dream, I try to fall back asleep to chase the dream. This morning, I kept hitting snooze and resetting the alarm until after 8 a.m., at which point I got up. This is my usual way of waking. Snooze, snooze, snooze. The overcast skies didn't help much. As much of a morning person as I am -- and as energetic, hyperactive, and productive as I am during the day -- I need a surprising amount of sleep. I sleep at least eight hours a night. Usually more. Even if I go out. (It helps having a flexible work schedule.) But I make it up by burning brightly during the day. How much sleep do you need?

Is it possible to sleep too much? Seems not. Also, why does the snooze button give you nine more minutes of sleep? And lastly, why is that I always wake up a second or two before the alarm goes off -- instead of when the alarm actually sounds? Am I so in tune with my alarm that some inner working trips my trigger before the alarm itself gets its chance to do so? I always wake up just before the alarm goes off.

In the end, I did most of the dishes, took out the trash and recycling, packed, and hailed a cab to work because of the rain to still arrive at a relatively decent hour -- even if I did hit snooze for two hours. Sheesh. I wish I didn't need so much sleep. Chuck, the door man at the Scotch & Sirloin building, goes to bed at 10 every night and gets up at 3 in the morning. I wish I could do that.

How much sleep do you need?

No comments: