Thursday, August 01, 2002

The Movie I Watched Last Night XXVIII
Sunday: Shaft
I was bored in the hotel room upon arriving in Chicago this weekend -- too early to go to bed, and too late to go out. So I turned to Showtime. Shaft is a movie I didn't want to see in the theater and probably wouldn't even rent, but there it was, on the television, and I watched it. You know what? It's not bad. I'm not too well versed in blaxploitation films -- much less the original Shaft -- but I enjoyed this. It's only a slight revision because Samuel L. Jackson's character is the nephew of the '70s character -- so it's not a totally nostalgic redux a la Charlie's Angels but instead more of an update. The black cop turned renegade tracking down a monied bail-jumping racially motivated killer plot works well, and the interactions among the cast work well. Fun. A good call back to the original, but not worth going out of your way for.

No comments: