Thursday, May 02, 2002

Rock Shows of Note XIV
As mentioned previously, Handstand Command, the musical collective that the Anchormen is involved in, is celebrating its second anniversary this month. And last night was the first show in our residency at the Abbey Lounge. Four bands played: the Mary Reillys, the Tardy, the Seana Carmody Trio, and Mark Robinson.

I almost didn't go, but around 10 p.m. I dragged my lazy self out into the night to Inman Square. I was sad to miss the Mary Reillys -- Deb says it was their first show with their new drummer and that they "rocked" -- and the Tardy, but I arrived in time to catch most of Mark's solo set. Mark, a super nice guy who used to be in Unrest -- and who started Teen Beat Records, I believe -- now lives in the Boston area, where he works for Houghton Mifflin Co. I didn't pay too much attention to his set because I volunteered to work the merchandise table (although people might argue that I didn't pay too much attention to the merch table, either), but I was impressed by his earnest guitar rock. Small world moment: He's friends with a former colleague, Heather Ivins.

Then Seana's new band played. Formerly of the Swirlies and Syrup USA, Seana has a new CD coming out on Kimchee Records later this year, and her band impressed with its honest pop harmonies and ample guitar. Seana's got a great voice, and I enjoyed her playing with a full band more than I've appreciated her in smaller settings, I think. Not that I don't like her in smaller settings, but the Seana Carmody Trio was a lot of fun.

No comments: