Wednesday, May 29, 2002

My New Low-Key Local?
After a conversation in which my girlfriend and I redefined our relationship -- we are now "just good friends" -- we walked down River Street to River Gods, a relatively new Irish pub just steps away from Central Square. I don't know why I haven't gone there before, but I'll be sure to return soon. It's cozy, comfortable, and extremely well-designed. Our pints were reasonably priced, and we were lucky enough to check out the bar on one of their Eavesdrop listening party nights. Every Tuesday starting at around 9:30 p.m., River Gods hosts a listening party that includes the playing of a new or unreleased record. Last night, that record was the Belle & Sebastian soundtrack to Storytelling. Next week it's Chris Brokaw's new record. Then Guided by Voices.

River Gods has a full-fledged schedule of other events throughout the week, including a guest DJ night in which members of local bands spin discs and other activities. Folks in the pub last night included Arto from the band Mishima USA, a DJ from one of the area mod nights, and two friends of friends I had met at Mary Mary's All-Star Karaoke at 608 awhile ago. Seems like quite the place to see and be seen if you're into that sort of thing.

Me? I just like the pews. Woot!

No comments: