Friday, March 17, 2006

Televisionary IV

I'm staying up too late tonight (early this morning?) to have a little TV party.

Earlier this evening, I watched Infernal Affairs on DVD, and then just before turning off the set to head to bed, I noticed that I had the new episodes of Dr. Who queued up on the DVR. So I'm now watching them.

Caitlyn Martin's got the best writeup online I've seen, and the New York Times review is worth reading.

All in all, even though we're getting these episodes a year behind British fans, the show has a lot of promise. Christopher Eccleston makes a good doctor, the show's makers kept enough of the Tom Baker-era sound design and title sequence that the show inspires a new nostalgia, and the special effects are clunky enough that the program has endearing awkwardness.

But, would they really play Britney Spears's "Toxic" 10 minutes before Earth death?

No comments: