Friday, June 13, 2003

Rock Shows of Note LXVI

I am such a silly boy. After RealTime and two Anchormen shows at the end of last week -- one followed by a house party, even -- I've been sick as a dog this week. Stuffy head, runny nose, nagging cough. The whole shebang. I barely made it through the first day of the Weblog Business Strategies conference, and I'm just now starting to feel better. So one would think I've been taking it easy, right? Not really.

Take last night as an example. After leaving work and spending some time at home catching up on mail and magazines, I got the itch to go out around 9:30 p.m. when I should have been heading to bed. There was a Handstand Command showcase at the Choppin' Block, and I didn't want to miss Big Digits' first show with Mac Swell and TD performing together. So I left the house, hit the T, and made my way to Brigham Circle. I got to the club around 10:15 -- just after Big Digits' set ended. My whole motivation for going out was gone! I was super bummed, but everyone who was there tells me that they were great. Next time, gents.

Plunge into Death followed with their usual brand of goth drama hop, even though Jef seemed a little low energy. Dave did his best to keep the crowd amped, and his hair is just crazy these days. Mad flopping. Mac got his dance on in front of the duo and joined them for a couple of songs at the end of the set.

I took a break outside with some friends for much of Cathy Cathodic's set. I've seen her perform several times before, and if you like your hip hop somewhat enlightened and empowering, I'm sure you'll like Cathy's rhymes. But I made a point to be back inside for Travers' performance. He was shooting video at the closing party for Hi-Fi Records on Sunday, and I wanted to see how much of it was incorporated into whatever he was going to do.

And, oh, what he did. Three video projectors. A blank white backdrop ringing the stage. Several costume changes. I'm not sure how to describe his performance, but it involved video segments, some sketch comedy bits, several recurring characters, dancing, singing, and, oh, so much more. My favorite part was probably when he was performing with the fake band, the three other band members -- played by him -- projected on the walls around him, playing instruments, dancing, winking, and otherwise contributing to the performance. Parts reminded me slightly of Ze Frank. The menacing drummer hunched over the kit was a nice touch.

There were so many elements to his performance, so many transitions. It's well worth putting on again, if Travers is of the mind to do so. After his set ended, I lingered outside to get some air and started thinking about catching a cab home. I was pretty sure most of my friends had gone, but stepping inside to use the restroom before hailing a taxi, there was Jef and Dave! I was so lucky to catch a ride home with them, making it back to Magazine Street by, well, 3 a.m. or so to make a grilled cheese sandwich and finally collapse on the bed.

Needless to say, I was not up bright and early this morning. I did not wash the dishes last night. I did not do laundry. I did not take out the trash and recycling. I did not cut up the browning bananas to put them in the freezer to make smoothies. I did not get some much-needed rest to help heal and get over this cold. But even though I missed Big Digits, I did go to a Rock Show of Note.

One where most, if not all of the bands, used remote controls.

No comments: