Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Science-Fiction Spam II

In December, I received one of the better spams I've ever seen. This morning, I received another version of the spam from an E.J. Jansen:

I'm a time traveler stuck here in 2003. Since nobody here seems to be able to get me what I need (safely here to me), I will have to build a simple time travel circut to get where I need myself. I am going to need an easy to follow picture diagram for a simple time travel circut, which can be built out of (readily available) parts here in 2003. Please email me any schematics you have. I will pay good money for anything you send me I can use Or if you have the rechargeable AMD dimensional warp generator wrist watch unit available, and are 100% certain you have a (secure) means of delivering it to me please also reply. Send a separate email to me.

Do not reply back directly to this email as it will only be bounced back to you.

Thank You


The reference to the dimensional warp generator wrist watch is a clear riff on the previous spam, as well as a longer version. Googling for "dimensional warp generator," there's a lot of information about the email. You can buy a mock generator online in the Alien Technology Online Catalog. One blogger even sent a reply to the time traveler, and there seem to be several variations of the spam. Nikke analyzes the emails, and Dave Hill, who operates the Alien Technology Online Catalog, exchanged emails with the spammer earlier this month.

Turns out the guy is in Woburn, Massachusetts! And that he might be taking this seriously.

No comments: