Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Workaday World XXXVIII

I got home last night to find that they hadn't finished work on my apartment. Most of the work was done, but the workers still needed to come back today to touch up some paint, patch a couple of walls, and patch the floor in the kitchen. There were two asphyxiating patches of freshly varnished floor, I found a note indicating that everything had to be a full foot away from the new vents -- my foot! -- and I decided not to begin rearranging until they were totally finished. I went out for a quick bite, cleared off the bed, and read until I couldn't remain awake. This morning, I got up at 6 a.m. and left as quickly as I could, piling stuff back onto the bed. I've been at work since 7, and luckily, I haven't been hit by a wave of sleepiness like yesterday. I sure hope they finish everything today. I've never experienced something so inconvenient, intrusive, and invasive.

No comments: