Monday, October 06, 2003

Virtual Book Tour 2: Music to My Ears

I tend to buy a lot of CDs and just received an iPod for my birthday so it looks like my music listening is going to go to a whole new level. One of the friends who pitched in on my iPod made me promise that I'd still put together my slightly adolescent mix cassettes with self-designed packaging. I assured him that I would. I'm basically a teenage girl at heart.

My favorite CDs of late include John Mayer, Liz Phair, Gavin Degraw (who kicked my ass live at the House of Blues recently), Trisha Yearwood, Martina Sorbera, Jann Arden, and Robbie Williams. When I'm writing I sometimes listen to movie soundtracks as mood music. My favorites are Gattaca -- so atmospheric and haunting -- and Cinema Paradiso, which moved me so much when I first saw the film that i get moved just listening to the music. I also love song soundtracks from my favorite sort of cheesy favorites, like Xanadu, Centerstage, and Coyote Ugly. Leann Rimes is right; you can't fight the moonlight.

In working on my book Screening Party, I bought the soundtracks to most of the movies I feature in the book -- for inspiration and also to play at the release party for atmosphere. I thought for sure I'd be able to get the Glitter soundtrack cheap or used, but the joke was on me. I absolutely needed it for my party and the only copy I was able to find was full-priced retail: $18.99. I think it was Mariah's revenge for all the jabs I poke at her in the Glitter chapter. She was having the last laugh as she so often does.

No comments: