Wednesday, May 07, 2003

Workaday World XXX

I've spent a couple of hours tidying up my office so far today, weeding out stuff I don't need on hand, boxing up books I don't need at work to ship home, and otherwise getting my Fast Company house in order. It's interesting how a manic cleaning binge -- and clutter purge -- can lighten one's mood. It's also interesting how this exercise is almost an exercise in professional anthropology or archaeology. Piles of stuff contain stratified layers of our past, and going through them brings back memories, reminds us of opportunities lost and experiences lived, and refocuses our attention and energy.

I was planning on enacting a similar manic cleaning binge at home tonight, but now we've got Anchormen practice. It's early, which is good because I still need to get my apartment in order for my mother's visit this weekend. I also need to practice my saxophone part in the Velvet Underground's "Rock 'n' Roll" for Kurt and Geraldine's wedding this weekend.

Back to work! Cleaning breeds clarity.

No comments: