Tuesday, April 30, 2002

Clip-Art Comics II
In conjunction with Free Comic Book Day this weekend, but by accident, pretty much, the Million Year Picnic is hosting an in-store signing with David Rees of My New Fighting Technique Is Unstoppable.

I'll be in San Diego for RealTime, but you should stop by the shop, snag some free, poorly printed comics, and meet the man behind the trendsetting clip-art comics that have got all the kids buzzing. The signing will run from 2-4 p.m., Saturday, May 4, at 99 Mount Auburn St., in Cambridge.

Despite many retailers' enthusiasm for FCBD -- and despite my thinking that it will do absolutely nothing to introduce new readers to the medium -- this is a classic unintentional coup done up in grand Picnic style. Imagine celebrating one of the most meaningless mainstream comics retail and distribution gestures with one of the snarkiest, lowest-fidelity, independent comics producers. Heck. Don't imagine it. Do it. I wish that I could.

No comments: