Friday, March 25, 2005

Heath Row Goes to College III

Sept. 28, 1991

Dear Mom and Dad,

Thank you very much for all of your letters and clippings. Dad's letter was very interesting and could almost be submitted to Silent Sports as an article because it was so long! I was confused by the one envelope from Mom that only had clippings and photos but then got your letter later in the day. Mail comes twice a day here and proved quite a mystery at first. Now I know that it comes at 10 a.m. and then again at 2 p.m. In the future, you could send all that stuff in one envelope and save postage.

Last night I saw Thelma & Louise. It's a great film and one you must both see. Its message is relatively good and the film really plays with your emotions. Today I am foregoing the football game to write you and do homework so I can go hear Dread Zeppelin tonight and go to the Shepard Chorus meeting. Sunday I'm going to play Ultimate Frisbee with B., P., R., and some others after the Bears game.

The graduate student who runs my history discussion section is the nephew of Noam Chomsky, a noted lecturer and political studies professor at MIT. Neat.

All of my classes are still proving to be interesting. Please write when you put money into my account so I can note it in my records. Also, please send bank statements so I can balance my check book.

I've been reading a lot for my classes. I have a quiz in Statistics in histograms, observational studies, controlled experiments and whatnot. At present I am reading Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography and Ulrich's Midwife's Tale. My audition for jazz went pretty well. I'll know the results soon. If no luck is to be had there I'll just do Concert Band next quarter.

As of this letter, I have had two articles printed in the Daily. Please comment. Hopefully, I shall become a staff writer after a couple more pieces. My apprenticeship at WNUR began on Friday. He put me in the 5-7 a.m. slot which is OK because I only have one class on Friday. It was fun. I am looking forward to getting on the air on my own. The board isn't too difficult to manage but I'll probably butcher my first show or two. Oh well...

Got a letter from B. She seems happy with National-Louis. Maybe I'll call her today. Hope all is well at home. Hope Dad's arms aren't too sore! May the both of you have happy days.

P.S. In case you're wondering, Ultimate Frisbee is basically Frisbee football. I haven't made any goals yet but I can't get better if I don't play.

P.P.S. K. got a Macintosh LT. It is absolutely beautiful and I am extremely jealous. Ink jet printer, too. Wow.

P.P.P.S. Pet Barney for me and have fun taking out the garbage. I used to... Ha.

Oh. The radio station has three Microscopic Septet albums I didn't even know existed and tons of Anita O'Day and Hoagy Carmichael!

Your son,

No comments: