Friday, March 18, 2005

Generous on the Block

This morning, on my way to work, I saw a woman living down by the Palace putting a stack of record albums on the sidewalk by some garbage cans. "Are you throwing those away?" I asked. She was, and she said that I could help myself. I tried to restrain myself somewhat and only took about a foot-high stack of albums, including some Christmas records, Gregorian chants, and assorted classical music -- the records were almost all classical.

When she finished bringing out the records -- "That's the last for today," she said with a sense of accomplishment -- we talked for awhile. She still listened to classical music but was "making the change to CDs." We agreed that they were smaller and took up less room, and that we preferred record albums' cover art. Can't wait to go home after work and slap down a platter -- time to find out why turntable hasn't been playing in stereo!

No comments: