Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Products I Love XXI

After just three months of ownership and use, my Sony eReader has stopped working. I'm going to try one more thing -- charging it with the power adaptor vs. the USB cable -- but it's looking like I'll have to send it in for repair. Here's a transcript of yesterday's real-time text chat with a service representative:


LiveAssist Transcript
chat id : b9dc94b5-ea34-4698-a65a-946269a5aaec
Problem : eReader won't turn on -- gets hung up on Starting up screen. Reset on back of device did nothing.

Myler_ > Hi Heath. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Myler. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.

Heath Row > Additional info: The device has been charging for about 24 hours via the USB cable

Myler_ > Thanks for waiting, Heath. I'm sorry that the PRS500 unit is not working normally. I'll be glad to assist you with this.

Myler_ > Please stay online while I check this information for you.

Myler_ > Thanks for staying online.

Myler_ > I suggest that you reset the unit and check if that works normally.

Myler_ > I'll be happy to provide more information on that. Would you happen to have your manual to follow along?

Heath Row > I don't have the manual. I just pushed the reset button in back with a pin. Nothing happened

Myler_ > Heath, as much as I would have liked to solve this issue, based on the information you’ve provided, it seems your unit needs service.

Myler_ > Shall I forward the link where you can find a location to get your Sony product repaired, the Sony repair cost, and to initiate the repair?

Heath Row > I just bought it at the end of last year -- how can it possibly need to be serviced? If possible, I'd like any repair fee to be waived.

Heath Row > But yes, send me the information I need to get the device repaired.

Myler_ > I would like to forward a link to a page where you can locate the Sony Factory Service Center.

Myler_ > When you receive the link please click on it to open the page and let me know if you are able to view it.

Myler_ > Web Page Push : http://eservice.sony.com

Heath Row > I can see the page

Myler_ > There may be some internal malfunction in the unit. I suggest that you get the unit service at the Sony Service Center.

Myler_ > Are you able to take it from here or would you like me to assist you with setting up service?

Heath Row > I asked a question about waiving the fee. $79.99 is a lot to pay for a faulty unit less than six months old.

Myler_ > Please contact the service center to get the exact repair cost.

Myler_ > Is there anything else that I may assist you with?

Myler_ > Are you still with me? Just to check the connection.

Myler_ > Thank you for contacting Sony online support today.

Myler_ > Analyst has closed chat and left the room


Largely not helpful. I'm hoping they'll waive the service fee, because there's no reason this should happen after only three months -- unless it's a shoddy product.

No comments: