Thursday, August 15, 2002

The Song I Just Wrote
As the Anchormen continue to wrap up work on our third CD, tentatively titled "Just Because You Sleep on My Floor Doesn't Mean That You're My Girlfriend," it's time to start writing some new songs. Here's one -- slightly inspired by a short story by Steve Almond -- that's been running through my mind for the last two days:

Every time I look into your eyes, I thank my congressman that you're my girl.
But when you say that your vote is mine, your backroom patronage games make me hurl.
If we were to truly democratize, the world would surely be a better place.
But if we legislate and do not sympathize, the power of our laws is that of mace.

Cute girls and politics, cute girls and politics, cute girls and politics, cute girls and politics, cute girls and politics, cute girls and politics don't mix.

Cute girls and politics, cute girls and politics, cute girls and politics, cute girls and politics, cute girls and politics, cute girls and politics don't mix.


When I see you standing on the Hill in your collared shirt and pleated skirt
my heart leaps and my head starts to whirl; when your bills become laws we all get hurt.


That's all I have right now. Worth finishing?

No comments: