Friday, July 12, 2002

The Movie I Watched Last Night XXVII
The Bourne Identity
After hanging out at the Different Drummer for a couple of hours after work, Dan, Dave, Nick, and I headed over to the new Boston Common theater to see The Bourne Identity. I almost didn't go, thinking that 9 p.m. was a good time to head home, but it's a movie I was slightly interested in -- and I haven't gone to a movie with friends for quite awhile. And you know what? Even though it's based on a Robert Ludlum novel (I'm not a fan of the Crichton/Ludlum/Clancy school of writers), it's a pretty good movie. Incorporating elements of The Manchurian Candidate, DOA, and Memento, the movie tells the story of a former government assassin who loses his memory and strives to untangle his web of international intrigue while evading his former employers. Matt Damon has the makings of a solid heroic actor -- much more promise than Ben Affleck -- and I'm sure his role in The Talented Mr. Ripley helped secure this part. Julia Stiles of Save the Last Dance for Me and 10 Things I Hate About You is surprisingly under-utilized, and I was surprised to see her in the movie, her part was so inconsequential. The ending doesn't come as much of a surprise, but it's a nice ride along the way.

No comments: