Friday, July 13, 2001

Hanging out with Hicks
A friend of mine, Sander Hicks, publisher of Soft Skull Press was recently interviewed in Terra Spatial. Quoth Sander about the interview, "This might be one of the best interviews I've done, because it was in Ohio, and my mind had been feeling very isolated that morning, among the ultrarelativistic, postmodern anarchist youth of the Underground Publishing Conference, 3 weeks hence."

I think I know what Sander's talking about. Way back in 1994, I was a panelist at the first Underground Press Conference at DePaul University in Chicago. Events like the old UPC-ICE and the newer UPC tend to bring out the best and the worst of zinemaking -- and zinemakers. One relatively positive zine-related event I recently participated in was the Well's Inkwell discussion about zinemaking and blogs. In fact, the similarities between the two are what inspired me to start Media Diet as a blog.

No comments: