Wednesday, February 19, 2003

Happy Birthday to Media Dieticians XI
I turn 30 next Wednesday.

People tell me that that's kind of a big deal.

Friends and family ask me what I'm doing to celebrate.

I'll tell you what I'm doing.

To honor all past, present, and future university teaching assistants and professors, I am holding office hours.

That's right: Office hours.

If by "office" you mean "bar."

(I'm totally serious about the "hours" bit. Turning 29 was hard enough. 30 should be a cakewalk. If by "cake" you mean "beer." And if by "walk" you mean "drink.")

The essentials:

  • Heath Row's 30th Birthday Office Hours
  • 8 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2003
  • Cambridgeport Saloon
  • 300 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge
  • (Between Central Square and MIT)

    Any and all Media Dieticians are invited. Come and go as you wish. Bring friends and family members. Bring quarters for the jukebox.

    Quoth the Boston Phoenix, "The Cambridgeport Saloon is no den of bigotry; it's not even a very rowdy place. There are just as many MIT students and townie sports fans hanging at the bar as there are skinheads. But thank God the latter have taken over the jukebox, which cranks out a collection of '77-vintage UK punk and early American hardcore as extensive as you're likely to find in any bar."

    Quoth the MIT Tech, "The Cambridge License Commission has voted to require the Cambridgeport Saloon to hire a security guard on weekend evenings to patrol the sidewalk outside the bar."

    Thank god it's Wednesday. And thank you for your attention.
  • No comments: