Monday, January 15, 2007

Magazine Me LXI

Three-plus years ago, I never did post my list of favorite magazines. While that entry inspired a lot of reader response, I never compiled my own list, for whatever reason.

But today, while hanging out at home on the holiday, I've been tidying up -- and recycling -- my piles of read and unread magazines. And I've been reminded that there are a lot of awesome magazines I don't always keep up with.

While this is not a definitive list, these are some of my favorite magazines.

25 of My Favorite Magazines:
(In alphabetical order)


  1. Adbusters
  2. The Atlantic
  3. The Believer
  4. The Big Takeover
  5. BusinessWeek
  6. Colors
  7. The Comics Journal
  8. Cracked (new entrant)
  9. The Economist
  10. Filmfax
  11. Giant Robot
  12. Good (new entrant)
  13. Harper's
  14. The Horn Book
  15. Juxtapoz
  16. Make (new entrant)
  17. Maximum Rocknroll
  18. Metropolis
  19. National Geographic
  20. The New Yorker
  21. Smithsonian
  22. Stay Free
  23. Utne
  24. Wire
  25. Wired


(Criteria for selection: I currently subscribe. And the magazine is awesome.)

10 posthumous honorable mentions:


  1. Creem
  2. Enter
  3. Might
  4. Mondo 2000
  5. National Lampoon
  6. Omni
  7. SF Eye
  8. Spy
  9. 21-C
  10. Whole Earth


(Criteria for selection: I wish these magazines were still publishing.)

And five existing magazines that never should have changed their format:


  1. Computer Shopper
  2. Grit
  3. Thrasher
  4. TV Guide
  5. Yankee


(Criteria for selection: I wish these magazines had kept their page size or paper stock. If you know the magazines, you know what I'm talking about.)

What are your favorite magazines? Email me and let me know!

No comments: