Thursday, January 11, 2007

New Year's In Box Cleaning

Every January, I get the urge to begin anew in many ways. Some people make new year's resolutions. I make a list of things to do -- many of them things I didn't accomplish in the previous year but wanted to -- and strive to clean up my in box.

For the last week or so, I've been unsubscribing from newsletters and mailing lists. Not all of them, just the ones I don't and can't keep up with. And I'm struck by the multiple ways services offer unsubscription options -- as well as how hard it is to get off some lists; many people don't make it easy.

I'm also struck by the impression that my in box hasn't really slimmed that much over the last week. I wonder how many newsletters I've really subscribed to -- and how much email is actually wanted. In the 2k7, I hope to better manage what I subscribe to, and when. Then I can better compare the impact of my new year's cleaning.

No comments: