Wednesday, September 12, 2001

The Comfort of Community
I work for a magazine. But I'm really a community organizer. Yesterday and today, I've experienced a rush of emotions, from the tragedies of the bombings -- and from the way that readers of Fast Company and members of the Company of Friends have come together around the events. Yesterday I got calls from FC readers in Vancouver, Dallas, Rochester, and Paris to see if I, my family, and the FC staff was OK. CoF members from London emailed members in New York City and Washington, DC, to see how they can help. Local cells around the country started to organize blood drives. A CoF member in Los Angeles developed a Web service to help people track down their loved ones and colleagues.

I work for a magazine. But this isn't how magazines work.

No comments: