Tuesday, April 20, 2004

The Restaurant I Ate at Last Night XXIX

Usually, you wouldn't caught me dead, stuffed, and mounted in a place with as cheesy a name as Waikiki Wally's. But the theme restaurant near 2nd Street and 1st Avenue is surprisingly low key. Despite a waterfall installation, elaborate drinks menu, and bikini-clad waitresses, the restaurant is relatively sparse -- and the menu impressive. I recommend the tofu and shiitake sticks.

Why'd I go to Wally's? Jason Calacanis, who was bringing together some of the Weblogsinc staffers -- and hanging out with some other New York-area friends while he was in town. While the brouhaha was officially "off the blog record," I did enjoy meeting almost everyone there: John Brockman, Elizabeth Spiers, Lockhart Steele, Peter Rojas, Jake Dobkin (who shares some snaps), Brian Alvey, Judith Meskill, Greg Scher, Alberto Escarlate, and Mark Rabinowitz. If I missed anyone, I apologize.

Oh, and to break the "off the record" thing for just one comment. Peter summed up gatherings like this best when he said, "Can't we talk about something other than blogging?" The verdict: Apparently not.

No comments: