Thursday, January 09, 2003

The Movie I Watched Last Night XLIX
Shrek
Did people really like this movie enough to warrant scheduling a sequel for 2004? Ugh! Not only did I think that the animation was absolutely awful, the whole celebrity voiceover thing didn't work for me. Thankfully, Mike Myers' Scottish goblin wasn't always identifiably him, but Eddie Murphy's singing donkey irritated me to no end. A sort of Beauty and the Beast redux, the movie did have a funny allusion to lycanthropy, and there were a couple of nice moments -- the dragon/donkey romance and Princess Fiona's Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon martial arts moves. In addition to the celebrity voiceovers, I was also thrown by the pop-song soundtrack. Might have worked better with a straight-forward score instead of Smash Mouth, you know? I mean, Smash Mouth? Ugh.

No comments: