Monday, December 09, 2002

On the Blend
I have owned a blender for the last six-plus years. It's moved with me from Chicago to Boston, and since my arrival here in 1996, it's found a home in a cabinet or on top of a refrigerator in no fewer than five apartments. And I've never used it.

Until this weekend. Inspired by one of my hosts during the CoF Roadshow and a once-active contributor to FC:Forums, Fast Company's discussion area, I've started using the blender to make breakfast. And I think I might have discovered what I can eat for breakfast every day for the rest of my life.

I love the idea of breakfast, but I don't like taking the time to prepare and eat it at home -- and the options for what I can pick up on the way to work aren't that inexpensive or healthy. But this, I think, is awesome. What is this? Let me tell you.

You take a banana. You peel it. You break it into several pieces. And you put it in the blender. You pour in enough fruit juice -- it's been orange and tangerine juice so far -- to cover the banana. Then you add some frozen blueberries and raspberries. Maybe add some ice if you feel like it. Put the lid on top of the blender and press the frappe button.

Instant delicious, healthy breakfast!

My blender is awesome; and it's got character -- and battle scars. It's an old-school Osterizer, and a couple of the buttons have been melted. I'm not sure how. The metal plate affixed to the front of the blender that indicates what button does what is loose, but otherwise everything works wonderfully.

If you have any suggestions for what else I might blend for breakfast, let me know. Because I've got a blender, and I'm not afraid to use it.

No comments: