Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A Barely Home Companion

I added this article to my Delicious links earlier, but I thought it was worth mentioning that I was included in a New York Post feature on people in New York City who regularly listen to A Prairie Home Companion. (I'm a Web entrepreneur!)

Growing up in Wisconsin, I grew up listening to Garrison Keillor's radio show, and I continue to hold a place in my heart for his writing and work. As I write this, I'm listening to the May 27 edition of the News from Lake Wobegon (I listened to last weekend's earlier today), and I'm made warm and comfortable by the voice of Keillor, who is one of the best monologists of the last 100 years. Mike Daisey may be one of the best in the last 10 years.

One thing that Mary didn't mention in her article was my conspiracy theory that Keillor is the not-so-evil twin of Stephen King. They look somewhat alike. They're both eminently regional -- one from Minnesota, and one from Maine. And they both have wonderful speaking voices. You can try to dissuade me. Seriously. Like they're ever seen in the same place at the same time. (If they have, disprove me!)

Garrison Keillor. Stephen King. One and the same, but on opposite poles.

No comments: