Sunday, November 06, 2005

Bring the Unfunny

I recently started using a DVR, and it's changed the way I watch television. One, at least this weekend, I'm watching a whole lot more of it -- much like I did when my parents first got cable back when I was a kid. And two, my viewing is much more directed.

I like being able to watch shows like "Veronica Mars," "Gigantor," "Mony Python's Flying Circus," and "Stargate SG-1" any time I want to. But I've also been experimenting with programs I wouldn't have watched otherwise because of what they are -- or what time they're on.

This weekend, that included George Carlin's new special and Saturday Night Live Goes Commercial, a highlight reel punctuated with a half-hearted Will Ferrell sequence.

While Carlin may have once been intellectually interesting and relevant, I found his current schtick misanthropic, padded, and boring. I don't even remember a single segment I'd recommend. And the SNL best-of? While the show did include some of my favorite adverts -- Happy Fun Ball and Buh-Weet Sings -- I was again disappointed.

So I'm looking forward to the upcoming Comedians of Comedy series. Hopefully it'll redeem my faith in TV comedy.

No comments: