Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Blogging About Blogging LXVII

For the first time since Media Diet launched more than two years ago, I deleted an entry at the request of the subject of the post. Turns out that my friend who's launching a new Web magazine is in the earliest of early days of the project and -- despite letting people know about the project -- didn't really want to let people know about the project. While I'm more than happy to respect the wishes of a friend, our email exchange got me thinking.

If you're doing something on the Web that you don't want the Web to know about, don't do it on the Web. If you're working on something that you don't want to spread word about, don't spread word about it. And, as the disclaimer to the left says, "Portions of our correspondence might make its way back here. If this makes you feel uncomfortable, be sure to let me know."

Clearly, I post with discretion if I think something is sensitive or overly personal. So don't be overly concerned that anything and everything you say to me will be blogged. I'm not that kind of blogger. If I'm not sure whether something is public, I'll check in to ask. But if you're working on a project you don't want to promote, please don't promote it.

Because the whole point of Media Diet is to turn people on to innovative independent media projects -- and to offer tools and resources for DIY media makers.

No comments: