Wednesday, April 02, 2003

Anchormen, Aweigh! XVIII
Last night, on my way home on the T, I was recognized as a member of the Anchormen for the first time in public. A young man got on the train and moved down the aisle. As the train started to pull out of the station, he made his way back to me.

"Aren't you in the Anchormen?" he asked me. Taken aback, I replied, "Yes. I am." He'd seen us play at the Upstairs Lounge with Hip Tanaka and said that we'd really impressed him. "Straight-ahead punk, but with different song topics," he said. He asked when we were playing out again, and I told him about our May 16 CD release party and Handstand Command third anniversary celebration. (Details forthcoming.)

When the T reached Central Square, we got off the train together. Then we bumped into each other again at the co-op. It felt kind of nice to be recognized in public, and he had a really cool stocking cap on. I, microstar! If you ever see me out and about, don't be shy to say hi!

Soundtrack: Lila Downs, "Tree of Life"

No comments: