Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Cab Unfair

An open letter, with some editing:

Heath Row
Brooklyn, NY
Nov. 29, 2006

McGuinness Car Service
158 Nassau Ave,
Brooklyn, NY
11222

Dear McGuinness Car Service:

This is just a quick letter to let you know that I'm not going to use your car service again -- and explain why.

Since I've lived in Greenpoint, I've used McGuinness exclusively. Every time I've needed a car to get to the airport (I go to LAX almost monthly) or another destination in the area, I've called you first.

You've provided excellent service, arriving on time, being patient with my rare oversleeping if it's an early morning appointment, and charging reasonable rates, even through the gas price "crisis."

Until Monday.

Monday night, I called to get a car to the Long Island College Hospital in Cobble Hill. The dispatcher declined to send a car, saying that the service only sent cars for rides in Brooklyn. I called back to clarify that the hospital was in Brooklyn -- and easily reached -- not further out on Long Island proper. He said he knew, and that he was sorry.

If I cannot depend on your car service in an emergency -- my girlfriend was in the hospital -- I cannot in good conscience continue to depend on you for general car service needs. So I will not be calling you again for a reservation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you called, they declined and apologized, and now you hate them forever? okey dokey.

Heath said...

If they can take my money and drive me to JFK, they can drive me to Cobble Hill. They gave no good reason why that destination was no go -- and as I said in the original post, if you can't count on a business in an emergency, that's a big deal. There are other car services in Greenpoint, and the one I now use has been great. They even drove me to that hospital in Cobble Hill when my now-wife was in the emergency room.