Monday, September 09, 2002

Rock Shows of Note XXXIX
Slightly sheepish this morning, in part because I missed two (2) shows of note this weekend. Friday night, the Weakerthans played at the Middle East. I had tickets to their Sept. 14 show last year, which was canceled because of 911, but I just couldn't bring myself to go out after work Friday. So I missed the show. The ticket from last night remains in my office as a souvenir, and I'm left with the possibility of having gone and this email report from my friend Jenn:

The Weakerthans were great! They played a lot of my favorites, so I was happy: "Elegy for Elsabet," "This Fire Door Is Never Open," "Confessions of a Futon Revolutionist," "Aside." They sounded awesome -- especially the vocals, which were particularly endearing -- and any fears about them sucking live were quickly abandoned. Martin Wong was right.

They even brought up three guys from the audience to take over the guitars and bass during what was supposed to be John Samson's solo. And while one guy was terrible and admitted as much in a short apology before he jumped off stage, John was like, "You weren't terrible! Everybody give him a big hand!" How supportive, I thought. He seems like the coolest guy.


Then, Saturday night, Dillinger Four played in Allston with the Explosion and the High-Steppin' Nickel Kids. What a great show to miss!

Sigh. C'est la vie.

No comments: